Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Our Apartment: the Teaser

This is Penelope's "what are you lookin' at?" face. Really, it shows the position she spends most of the day in. She does sit ups all day long. My baby has abs of steel. And, she's on the bed as a teaser...you're going to get to see some pictures of our bedroom, which is still a work in progress.
People keep asking to see pictures of our new apartment. Well, this is not that post. There is still way too much to do before the house looks presentable. So to tide you over until the whole house is presentable, you get to see our bed.
Penelope has been kind of enough to behave while I worked on a little project today: wall art for the bedroom. I've been trying to think of something to do for a while. Our bedding is very geometric and square, so I added some circular art for contrast.
Would you like a tutorial for my little project? Go to a craft store and buy embroidery hoops in various sizes. These are the super-cheap wood ones. Then add fabric, cut the excess fabric from the back and arrange in whatever composition you would like. Here is what I've got so far. I might paint the frames or add more hoops to make it larger. I'm also not so sure they'll stay on the wall very well. I just used nails and am balancing the hoops on them. What do you think?
Thanks for the fabric, Shelby! I'm still debating whether or not I want to add a few yellow pillows to the bed to tie it together with the bedding. I think it works even without pillows on the bed. I don't want it to be too matchy-matchy, and I haven't found any other yellow fabric I like.
So, there you have it. The only thing that is completed in our apartment is some wall art above our bed. I'm slowly working on other projects, and will post pictures as I go. Maybe I'll finish putting the house together before we've lived here 6 mos...or, maybe not.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

You are so crafty! I swear I'm trying to get around to making a list of cheap/easy dinner ideas, but I'm kind of busy. :P

Marisa said...

We've been our house for 4 years and I don't anything on our walls, Travis keeps bugging me, someday :-)

Whitney said...

Ris, I'll come and put stuff on your walls...if you sponsor a trip to NE. :)

maggie said...

cute idea! i am still unpacking and we have been here since june. i'm going to get it all how i want it and then i'm gonna have to start packing it up again to move! :( i really want to come out there for a visit soon. can't wait to see more pictures of the apartment!

Jill said...

I love the abs of steel! My oldest daughter did the exact same thing and she ended up with the flatest stomach, even as a baby she never had the pouchy belly that most babies had. Sounds like she is too excited to just lay around!

Unknown said...

What a clever project! It looks great above the geometric squares of your bed. And Penelope, of course, is a doll.